Kodi Playlist over DLNA to Sonos speaker?
I have just purchased a Sonos roam with the intent of playing music playlists from either Kodi or plex while in the bathroom. I've found that i can plan music through Home assistant as a media player, but only a single song through DLNA. Has anyone figured out to it would be possible to play a playlist on a sonos wireless speaker from Kodi?
Kodi ver.19.1  Aeon MQ 8 Matrix Mod Windows 10 
(2024-03-30, 00:35)Shredder_guitar Wrote: I have just purchased a Sonos roam with the intent of playing music playlists from either Kodi or plex while in the bathroom. I've found that i can plan music through Home assistant as a media player, but only a single song through DLNA. Has anyone figured out to it would be possible to play a playlist on a sonos wireless speaker from Kodi?

To help with this discussion, this link provides information on the various DLNA components and their function..  For this discussion your Sonos speakers are the DMP and Kodi is the DMS with Home Assistant controlling Kodi as a DMC.   DLNA uses a Play-To command (as well as a bunch of others to monitor playback) for a DMC to send something to a DMP to be played.  From what I have seen of the specs there isn't a concept of a DMC saying "Play this list of media files" to a DMP.  It is done on a media file by file basis.  So it is up to the DMC to send a Play-To command, periodically check the playback progress and then when the first file completes, send a Play-To command to begin playing the next file.  I am over-simplifying this a but this is the approach.  So to do what you ask, Kodi or Home Assistant would need to take on the DMC role properly.  I am pretty sure Kodi can do this natively but I haven't tested it in a while.

I have a similar setup only I use a Mezzmo DLNA Android client acting as the DMC.  It issues Play-To commands to an old Raspberry Pi 3 running Kodi which pulls the media from my Mezzmo server via a URL and the Raspberry Pi feeds my Yamaha AVR via an HDMI cable and the speakers hang off the AVR.  The Mezzmo Android client has a button to play an individual file or a playlist.  If I select playlist then it will begin with the first file I select and then cycle through the rest if I select Playlist mode.  In your case Home Assistant might need to be able to monitor playback to know when to queue the next file for playback.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Playlist over DLNA to Sonos speaker?0