Question about MySQL
I have 2 machines ( 1 & 2 ) running Kodi 19.3 on windows 10.
They both share a MySQL database running on my server perfectly.

If I was to add another 2 machines ( 3 & 4 ) but these running kodi 21.0 and both set to use the same MySQL data base on my server.
I know V.19 uses MyVideos119.db and V.21 uses MyVideos131.db So.......
Am I correct in thinking that machinines 3 & 4 would use an entirely different database and they would only share with each other leaving machines 1 & 2 to share together without interfering with 3 & 4.

Or would something else happen

New to MySQL forgive me if that sounds dumb

Thanks
Yes, you're correct.

When you add the first v21 machine, it will take the v19 db (119) and update it to the current version (131), but will leave the existing one behind as well.
Any device running v19 will continue to use that 119 database, and the v21 machines will use 131.

Media added on the Omega machines won't be added for the Matrix ones, and vice-versa.
Basically they will run as separate databases, shared between the machines running the appropriate Kodi versions.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Brilliant....Thanks
This can also become a "pain" when you are using different platforms & the new versions are released at different times.
I have 4 Kodi installations 2 on Android TV, 1 on RaspberryPI and the master setup on Windows all using an SQL database on Synology NAS.

For some reason the "RC" version is released as an automatic update on Windows & this can be using a different database for months compared with Android which only receives automatic updates to the official version.
Through the windows store, there is no way to "go back" to an older update or prevent "unofficial" version from being installed.

It would be nice if you could store the "settings" in an SQL database so that each client could share the same settings/updates/changes but I dont think this is possible.
Its a pain to modify the settings on Android TV with a remote or using a file explorer to copy the xml files all the time
(2024-05-15, 19:42)Gabbo Wrote: This can also become a "pain" when you are using different platforms & the new versions are released at different times.
I have 4 Kodi installations 2 on Android TV, 1 on RaspberryPI and the master setup on Windows all using an SQL database on Synology NAS.

For some reason the "RC" version is released as an automatic update on Windows & this can be using a different database for months compared with Android which only receives automatic updates to the official version.
Through the windows store, there is no way to "go back" to an older update or prevent "unofficial" version from being installed.

It would be nice if you could store the "settings" in an SQL database so that each client could share the same settings/updates/changes but I dont think this is possible.
Its a pain to modify the settings on Android TV with a remote or using a file explorer to copy the xml files all the time

This is the nature of the MySQL sharing solution, leveraging the same database instance. It is a direct database interface and does not contain an abstraction layer to allow different Kodi clients running different versions of Kodi to access the same database. 

There are other Kodi sharing solutions which provide an abstraction layer, allowing different versions of Kodi to run with a common database and support seamless Kodi upgrades / downgrades.  The solution I author and run allows this.  I have a common database serving metadata, resume points, play counters, artwork and more with Kodi 18, 19, 20 and 21 clients, as well as non-Kodi clients. 

This is the beauty of the Kodi community solutions.  There are multiple solutions for each need but each has pros / cons depending upon the priority of your various needs.  In addition to what I run some of the other Kodi sharing solutions allow Kodi version mixing.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
(2024-05-15, 19:42)Gabbo Wrote: Through the windows store, there is no way to "go back" to an older update or prevent "unofficial" version from being installed.

But why relinquish this control in the first place?  The Windows Store is a dumpster fire in almost every regard.  Just run the classic Win32 installer from the downloads page - no more forced upgrades, you jump to new versions when you're ready.
(2024-05-16, 10:14)beeswax Wrote: But why relinquish this control in the first place?  The Windows Store is a dumpster fire in almost every regard.  Just run the classic Win32 installer from the downloads page - no more forced upgrades, you jump to new versions when you're ready.

I concur with not relinquishing control but we need to acknowledge that the MySQL approach does require an all or nothing upgrade of the attached Kodi endpoints to maintain sharing of Kodi data. This isn't a knock on the solution just a limitation of the design.  There are many good things with the MySQL solution, especially the built-in Kodi support.  Other sharing solutions have different advantages, trade-offs and limitations.  I am not aware of any of them being the perfect solution (yet).   Smile

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
Windows store works fine for me for all other apps.
I don't want to spend time managing installations.

I'm happy to take updates when there are coordinated together & deliver new features etc but if done properly, the user experience is not interrupted.

It would better if Kodi only deployed the official release via the windows store.

If you are interested in an alpha, beta, RC build, then you are now inclined to download the installer from the website anyway.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question about MySQL0