Android Review | Ugoos AM8 Pro Amlogic S928X-J Android 11 TV Box
Lightbulb 
A brand new review about a brand new Android TV Box from Ugoos. It is easily the most powerful TV box I have ever reviewed:
https://www.eyalo.com/213024/review-ugoos-am8-pro/
Thank you for the honest review.
Thanks for the detailed review. Early firmware bugs are unsurprising, but box looks promising. Too bad CoreELEC, let alone with P7 DV (like with AM6B+), appears like won't be possible.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2024-04-24, 08:31)mulderfox Wrote: A brand new review about a brand new Android TV Box from Ugoos. It is easily the most powerful TV box I have ever reviewed:
Thanks for the review. At the end of the article, you said
Quote:
Would I recommend it? Only if you must be at the bleeding edge of Android TV Boxes.
If I am to use Android box mainly for streaming via Kodi, which one do you recommend that plays files without buffering and outputs best audio/video?
This box or AM6B+ or Nvidia Shield or any cheaper ones?
If purely Kodi, and you don't need Android apps, then IMHO CoreELEC is the best option. If you don't need Dolby Vision, you have several options, including most AmLogic S905X4-based boxes. If you do need DV, but not TV-led FEL-capable DV, something like a Homatics box that can do both CoreELEC and Android TV is a good option. The only Android box that can do TV-led FEL-capable DV is Ugoos AM6B+ (there was a Minix option, but impossible to find).

If you don't need HDR10+ or Dolby Vision, an Intel N100-based miniPC is also a solid option (LibreELEC vs. Kodi under Windows for better performance).

Have a look at this thread.
Well, I haven't tested Nvidia Shield, but have only read good things.
You can get a Minix U22 or Ugoos AM6 or Homatics 4k Plus - all will be able to run CoreElec which is a cut down version of Linux (not android OS) that runs ONLY Kodi, but does it perfectly. It is the only one that's been able to passthrough ALL audio and video formats I threw at it successfully. Including AAC with more than 6 channels, TrueHD, and all DTS sub formats.
I can also recommend TrustOnX TOX3 - which is a cheap(ish) box that is very stable and can run without buffering - as long as you're not after 8k (which most aren't).
It all depends on your budgets and uses.
(2024-04-24, 17:03)hdmkv Wrote: If purely Kodi, and you don't need Android apps, then IMHO CoreELEC is the best option. If you don't need Dolby Vision, you have several options, including most AmLogic S905X4-based boxes. If you do need DV, but not TV-led FEL-capable DV, something like a Homatics box that can do both CoreELEC and Android TV is a good option. The only Android box that can do TV-led FEL-capable DV is Ugoos AM6B+ (there was a Minix option, but impossible to find).

If you don't need HDR10+ or Dolby Vision, an Intel N100-based miniPC is also a solid option (LibreELEC vs. Kodi under Windows for better performance).

Have a look at this thread.
Seems like Mini PC is the best option for snappier performance.
1) Is there no software available to output HDR+ or Dolby on mini pc? Alternatively, is it possible to use Bluestacks for Android on mini PC and then install Kodi there for HDR+/DV?
2) My old AV Receiver Amplifier has only SPDIF input but no HDMI input. However, I see only HDMI output in most mini PCs but no SPDIF output for audio. So any solution to connect mini PC to amplifier using Toslink cable? Though I did not find any cable with HDMI jack at one end and SPDIF jack at other end.
Actually, no. Mini PCs which mostly run windows are actually heavier and more sluggish because they have to carry a (relatively) heavy operating system, and then decode high definition (or ultra high definition) video that's encoded in high efficiency codecs. Not to mention they would need MUCH more storage to begin with, as windows keeps getting bigger and bigger.
On top of that, in order for them to be able to decode HDR/HLG/DV correctly, they will need both a capable video card (with HDR support) and software (player) that's licensed for all that. That would push prices up.
The Android boxes are a much more cost efficient solution. They support all these codecs out of the box, and include software to play the content (or allow to download such software for free - I.E. Kodi). And they come in a wide variety and prices.
Why only the AM6B+ and not the AM6+?
Is there a particular interest with the 8GB of the AM8 Pro? To use it as a Mini PC running Android for office-type use...
Is it possible to install 64-bit systems?
Thanks for the review.

I didn't see it mentioned - is this device capable of TrueHD and DTS-HD passthrough? I am assuming no since you said CoreElec is the only thing you've found to passthrough all formats.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Review | Ugoos AM8 Pro Amlogic S928X-J Android 11 TV Box0