Kodi Community Forum
Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 (/showthread.php?tid=376035)

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - hdmkv - 2024-02-23

(2024-02-23, 01:32)clarkss12 Wrote: Anyway, with your and @izprtxqkft instructions, I got the playercorefactory into the correct location on Kodi. 
Now, when I try to play a video, it come up with this message "External player active.  Click "OK" when playback has ended" .  When I do that and try to play a video, this message keeps popping up.

I can't play any videos.
Weird. Maybe the new Dune 8K uses a different internal player. I'd email their support & ask if it should be something other than com.dunehd.shell ... one way to find out yourself is to go into managing applications under Android & seeing if there's a native player app. Could be under system apps. Then, when you select the app & look at its info, there should be the app's ID similar to com.dunehd.shell.

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - Edworld - 2024-02-23

Has anyone here tried the Ugoos AM6 lately with coreelec version installed? I wonder if it is able to play Saving Private Ryan correctly

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - clarkss12 - 2024-02-23

(2024-02-23, 02:01)hdmkv Wrote:
(2024-02-23, 01:32)clarkss12 Wrote: Anyway, with your and @izprtxqkft instructions, I got the playercorefactory into the correct location on Kodi. 
Now, when I try to play a video, it come up with this message "External player active.  Click "OK" when playback has ended" .  When I do that and try to play a video, this message keeps popping up.

I can't play any videos.
Weird. Maybe the new Dune 8K uses a different internal player. I'd email their support & ask if it should be something other than com.dunehd.shell ... one way to find out yourself is to go into managing applications under Android & seeing if there's a native player app. Could be under system apps. Then, when you select the app & look at its info, there should be the app's ID similar to com.dunehd.shell.

Ok, I will take a look.  thanks

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - izprtxqkft - 2024-02-23

(2024-02-23, 01:32)clarkss12 Wrote: Now, when I try to play a video, it come up with this message "External player active.  Click "OK" when playback has ended" .  When I do that and try to play a video, this message keeps popping up. 

as hdmkv pointed out the package name probably changed

*IF* you are familiar with using adb you can play a video with the native player and while it's playing issue the command "adb shell dumpsys window windows"
this will output a bunch of stuff but ultimately in that text the name of the actively running and foreground package will be displayed

*IF YOU ARE NOT* familiar with adb then i would suggest against this, trying to figure it out from this route when you're not already familiar will lead you down a rabbit hole that will not help you and will waste your time

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - Roby77 - 2024-02-23

(2024-02-22, 23:38)hdmkv Wrote: What were bugs you encountered with Fire Stick?

Mapping a remote key to force AFR is possible with Homatics. At this point, I'm unsure I'll keep the box. One big challenge I'm having is inability to access the Android folder to copy over advancedsettings, playlist & keymap files. From Android perspective, as I can sideload any apps to Fire Cube 3, it's a better performer. From CoreELEC side, Homatics performs well, with DV benefit, but other than that, I can also use Cube 3 or my Dune HD for same purpose. Kinda knew buying a Homatics to play with, but feels redundant & not as snappy a performer given other players I have.

They replied to me on telegram that you can write to android folder with Kodi onbuilt file explorer

Let me know please

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - hdmkv - 2024-02-23

Yes, @izprtxqkft's instructions on previous page did the trick:
(2024-02-23, 00:12)izprtxqkft Wrote: 1. open kodi file manager
2. add source
3. click the line that says "<none>"
4. manually enter "special://home" - for all paths available see here https://kodi.wiki/view/Special_protocol

because Kodi has access to that location but not it's parent folders (android data)

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - clarkss12 - 2024-02-23

I just emailed Dune HD, requesting the playercorefactory script for the Dune HD Pro One 8K Plus.  I will update when or if they provide that script.

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - hceuterpe - 2024-02-25

Recently got a Dune HD Boxy and noticed it was only using LLDV instead of TV-Led DV. I read that the Rocktek G2 unit that also uses S905X4-J, is also set to only do LLDV. Also hearing the Z9X being subject to the fake TV-led along with Ugoos am6b+. Which got me thinking: is this fake TV-Led an issue across the board with amlogic SoCs currently regardless of what you run (whether Android or something like coreelec)?

I guess I'm wondering if the Boxy only doing LLDV is actually better than it being stuck doing TV-led?

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - izprtxqkft - 2024-02-25

(2024-02-25, 06:47)hceuterpe Wrote: Dune HD Boxy

i recently purchased one of these, returned it within 45 minutes of hooking it up and testing it - very poor device

(2024-02-25, 06:47)hceuterpe Wrote: I read that the Rocktek G2 unit that also uses S905X4-J

no, it's a S905X4-K - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BMLJ84LQ

(2024-02-25, 06:47)hceuterpe Wrote: Also hearing the Z9X being subject to the fake TV-led

never owned the older version Z9X but my Z9X Pro works fine with TV-led
also, Zidoo Z9X and Pro version are not Amlogic they are Realtek so lumping them in with Amlogic is incorrect - https://www.zidoo.tv/Product/index/model/Z9X/target/VEMg6VRC2%2B9KKmVViAFMcQ%3D%3D.html

i would suggest looking up device specs before listening to "things you've heard"

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - hceuterpe - 2024-02-25

Multiple sources I've come across list the Realtek SoCs such as the RTD1619BPD found in the Z9X Pro to have the same limitation of this fake TV-led as the amlogic chipsets, so yes in that regard I am lumping them together.

That being said, for the Boxy is the LLDV mode it's doing (there's no option to pick it seems, even within developer options) actually proper for its capabilities/limitations, instead of it trying to do TV-led?

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - hdmkv - 2024-02-25

Dolby Vision is so convoluted. From what I understand, no media player does this fully/properly because Dolby doesn't permit it. To have real TV-led, assuming one has a capable OLED/LCD TV to start with, only actual Blu-ray players or Oppo/clones do it. Media players like Ugoos, Zidoo & Dune that do 'fake' TV-led are essentially sending the RPU (dynamic) metadata from the enhancement layer to the display together with the video from the base layer (see explanation at AVSForum here). This 'hack' is no better than what we've been getting to date with these media players, just the MEL.

I've been sticking with player-led DV with my players that give me the option.

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - izprtxqkft - 2024-02-25

(2024-02-25, 17:07)hdmkv Wrote: I've been sticking with player-led DV with my players that give me the option.

i have not been able to detect any difference between player-led and tv-led in my instance, both look great so there's nothing to fix AFAICT

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - hdmkv - 2024-02-25

Same here.

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - noggin - 2024-02-25

(2024-02-25, 17:44)izprtxqkft Wrote:
(2024-02-25, 17:07)hdmkv Wrote: I've been sticking with player-led DV with my players that give me the option.

i have not been able to detect any difference between player-led and tv-led in my instance, both look great so there's nothing to fix AFAICT

Is this playing UHD BDs with FELs?

(2024-02-25, 20:33)noggin Wrote: Is this playing UHD BDs with FELs?

limited sample size so far
yes full 1:1 remux to mkv without video encoding modification, directly from the retail disc

Code:
Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

if you have a specific title to test in mind i would be willing to give it a try, if it's not already in my library i wouldn't be opposed to purchasing it (if it's a "reasonable" price)