Kodi Community Forum
Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 (/showthread.php?tid=376035)

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - MediaPi - 2024-08-27

that site you just linked, it's a 404, it's taken down
Here is someone from aliexpress saying it was a scam and aliexpress reimbursed them
https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/best-device-for-coreelec-in-2022-2023/14348/513

I already mentioned Aliexpress will reimburse you. my point was you are wasting your time. when everyone else is charging $134 minimum
You aren't getting a box for below $90. And especially from a new store with a new listing. Also I don't think they have same rules as USA,
if it's a miss price they will just cancel your order, or send you something bogus, again just waste of your time.
And time is money. You could have actually bought the box I posted for a $12 discount. that's the best you got right now.

anyway did you check your own link? maybe it's cached or something but I assure you it's a dead link. Aliexpress will surely refund you shortly

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - MediaPi - 2024-08-27

I've been telling everyone that aliexpress is as safe as Ebay. and has been for a very long time. they want to be trusted and want to be bigger than amazon
I believe they already are.
I had an issue with a product. It said it should arrive in 4 weeks. I waited 6 weeks. then contacted the seller and he said wait longer. so I waited another week I believe, contacted seller, he said wait. so I raised a dispute with aliexpress and got a refund very quickly. then the item arrived in a week...

but this was long before. the delivery times have gone better! but they now charge VAT for UK residents, grrrr

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - ashlar - 2024-08-27

(2024-08-26, 23:07)hdmkv Wrote: 4K AV1 causes it to choke because it's trying to play it w/software decoding vs. the hardware decoding it doesn't have. I've gotten 1080p AV1 to play okay. I'd say get the AM6B+ as future boxes likely won't support full dual-layer FEL Dolby Vision; case in point, the recent AM8/AM8 Pro.
I have a question for you. Say I have a remux of a BD 4K of mine, it has DV FEL.
I own an LG OLED, so it's TV LED DV for me.

Is there any way I could "emulate" the results I'd get on a FEL not capable box, on the AM6B+? Some options to toggle, maybe?

I'd be curious to check with my own eyes the real advantages FEL brings to the table.

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - hdmkv - 2024-08-27

Yes, you can by toggling between 'Lossless' and 'Minimal EL' under Settings > Player > Videos.

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - Orio - 2024-08-28

(2024-08-27, 04:20)Cinephile Wrote:
(2024-08-27, 03:51)scoobydooscollar Wrote:
(2024-08-25, 05:34)Cinephile Wrote: AM6B+ for USD 83 delivered after discounts?!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005007595718194.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.21ef1802L5wx8l

I took the plunge. I hope it wasn't too good to be true. Is there a way to authenticate the product on arrival?
Hopefully you come out better than I did and scored a deal but if not Aliexpress will back you up. If you do get an AMB6 I'll be ordering another.

Wishing you luck.
Thanks, mate. That is some great insight. I expect the worst but will wait it out regardless and come back to you.

Knowing that AliExpress will refund me (and possibly close down the store) is all I need to know at this stage.

I received an incorrect tracking number and requested a refund which aliexpress seems to have approved now.
Will order the box if a new sales comes up from a proper store this time Smile

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - Cinephile - 2024-08-29

(2024-08-28, 11:18)Orio Wrote:
(2024-08-27, 04:20)Cinephile Wrote:
(2024-08-27, 03:51)scoobydooscollar Wrote: Hopefully you come out better than I did and scored a deal but if not Aliexpress will back you up. If you do get an AMB6 I'll be ordering another.

Wishing you luck.
Thanks, mate. That is some great insight. I expect the worst but will wait it out regardless and come back to you.

Knowing that AliExpress will refund me (and possibly close down the store) is all I need to know at this stage.

I received an incorrect tracking number and requested a refund which aliexpress seems to have approved now.
Will order the box if a new sales comes up from a proper store this time Smile

Did you leave the 1 star review? I'll do the same. I'll push for an extension of the winter sale as that was the reason I ordered in the first place. Hopefully they'll give me the equivalent discount code.

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - Orio - 2024-08-29

I did Smile Felt like the right thing to do to warn others.

Regarding the discount code, didn't even think about it but I hope they give you one , I just hang on until it is a little bit cheaper and then grab one

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - mrcleeo - 2024-08-29

I just bought one with the ur02 controller for 216$ canadian. Used coins and discount code. Probably not the greatest but my shield is acting up. Thanks for this informative thread.

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - MediaPi - 2024-08-29

you think if a store commits fraud and tries to swindle AliExpress and it's reputation , that AliExpress will allow it to carry on? Better still do you think the criminals expected their store to remain open after they intentionally tried to commit fraud?

The store along with the product link are all gone. Maybe I've been shopping with AliExpress to know enough what an obvious scam was and you will end up wasting your time. You can't really blame AliExpress, they would assume you knew it was either a miss print or a scam and you wanted to take a gamble, and then expect AliExpress to bail you out

would be very interested if they gave you a new discount code. Even them refunding you is top class customer service. I would think they would say they can't give you a discount code but more sales will come up.

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - MediaPi - 2024-08-29

can you answer this question. is the AM6B+ going to get any more kodi updates after 21?
is this a point of concern? I'd expect a box to last 5 years if I'm to buy one now but we only have half a year left on kodi 21

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - Sholander - 2024-08-29

Kodi 22 nightly/alpha versions for CoreElec and Android OSes alrady exist and are in devepment.

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - ars92 - 2024-08-29

Understand that CE is the best for the AM6B+ for local rips, but if we dual boot with android, is the android OS able to give 4k Dolby vision with lossless Dolby atmos on apps like Netflix?

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - Sholander - 2024-08-29

No, AM6B+ does not have L1 Widevine certification needed for UHD Netflix streams, and no Dolby Vision from other streaming services.

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - Cinephile - 2024-08-30

(2024-08-29, 19:34)Sholander Wrote: No, AM6B+ does not have L1 Widevine certification needed for UHD Netflix streams, and no Dolby Vision from other streaming services.

Plus, no streaming service offers lossless audio/video streams in the first place. Dolby Atmos streaming is lossy.

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - noggin - 2024-08-30

(2024-08-30, 04:04)Cinephile Wrote:
(2024-08-29, 19:34)Sholander Wrote: No, AM6B+ does not have L1 Widevine certification needed for UHD Netflix streams, and no Dolby Vision from other streaming services.

Plus, no streaming service offers lossless audio/video streams in the first place. Dolby Atmos streaming is lossy.

Yes - important for people to remember that Dolby Atmos isn't a codec - it's a technology that can be used with existing codecs to add audio objects and this make use of height speakers etc.

Blu-rays use Dolby True HD with Atmos (which is lossless)
Streaming services use Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos (which is lossy)

As for lossless video - that would be ~3Gb/s for 4:2:0 10-bit 2160/24p content (3840x2160x24x15bits/sec)
(The 15 is because there is a Cr and a Cb sample for every 4 Y samples in a 2x2 array - so 4 samples needs (4 x Y + 1 x Cr + 1 x Cb 10-bit samples) 60 bits = 15 bits per sample side)

It's pretty impressive that modern codecs can get you something watchable by compressing 3Gbs to <20Mbs...