Kodi Community Forum
Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 (/showthread.php?tid=376035)

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - MediaPi - 2024-09-05

we can't put Coreelec on the internal storage. You have to have some technical knowledge to do it. let the small amount that do have access to it.

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - noggin - 2024-09-05

(2024-09-05, 00:01)MediaPi Wrote:
(2024-09-04, 23:43)hdmkv Wrote: Won't be surprised if we get locked bootloaders on Homatics, Dune & other DV-licensed Android TV s905X4's. Hope it doesn't happen, but can envision Google and/or Dolby pressuring these manufacturers because these boxes also have official Android TV w/Netflix, Prime, etc. with 4K. Unlike AM6B+.
why do they need it locked? Coreelec isn't illegal. people still want to use the android. by allowing other hardware, how is that negatively affecting Google?

If running CoreElec lets you access licensed Dolby Vision functionality through CoreElec accessing and using the Android Dolby Vision code installed in an Android TV partition on the emmc on the same device (Which is how Homatics and Dune boxes enable Dolby Vison in CE currently?) - then that would surely be reason enough for Dolby to require box manufacturers to lock them, or otherwise protect the Dolby licensed functionality, or lose their Dolby Vision access?  It's allowing unlicensed applications to use licensed functionality - which may be a breach of Dolby's licensing.  (I'm not saying this is the cause - just that it's plausible)

CoreElec on the Ugoos AM6B+ isn't leveraging that method to enable Dolby Vision (it uses code downloaded and copied over to the CoreElec during installation) - so is in a different situation. (I believe this is why you can remove the Android TV stuff on a Ugoos but have to leave it intact on the Homatics/Dune/Nokia boxes?)

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - MediaPi - 2024-09-05

(2024-09-05, 09:27)noggin Wrote:
(2024-09-05, 00:01)MediaPi Wrote:
(2024-09-04, 23:43)hdmkv Wrote: Won't be surprised if we get locked bootloaders on Homatics, Dune & other DV-licensed Android TV s905X4's. Hope it doesn't happen, but can envision Google and/or Dolby pressuring these manufacturers because these boxes also have official Android TV w/Netflix, Prime, etc. with 4K. Unlike AM6B+.
why do they need it locked? Coreelec isn't illegal. people still want to use the android. by allowing other hardware, how is that negatively affecting Google?

If running CoreElec lets you access licensed Dolby Vision functionality through CoreElec accessing and using the Android Dolby Vision code installed in an Android TV partition on the emmc on the same device (Which is how Homatics and Dune boxes enable Dolby Vison in CE currently?) - then that would surely be reason enough for Dolby to require box manufacturers to lock them, or otherwise protect the Dolby licensed functionality, or lose their Dolby Vision access?  It's allowing unlicensed applications to use licensed functionality - which may be a breach of Dolby's licensing.  (I'm not saying this is the cause - just that it's plausible)

CoreElec on the Ugoos AM6B+ isn't leveraging that method to enable Dolby Vision (it uses code downloaded and copied over to the CoreElec during installation) - so is in a different situation. (I believe this is why you can remove the Android TV stuff on a Ugoos but have to leave it intact on the Homatics/Dune/Nokia boxes?)
Unless KinHank is flat out lying in public medium then we will have Coreelec running back on G1 from this post
Quote: 
emveepee
zlxyc
3h
When I got the adb password from support they told me
We are about to fix this issue, please be patient
So we should respect that they want to get this working.
The issue with the password was mine too I saw an i and an l until I had my wife look.
https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/ce-ng-dolby-vision-fel-for-dv-licensed-socs-s905x2-s922x-z-s905x4/50953/404

The G1 has been out for over 8 months, it's a big coincidence that they lock the bootloader just as YadaYada and other developers get all the pieces together to make the G1 capable of anything official from Google or Dolby.

If it indeed was because they were forced by anther company then instead of lying and harming their reputation and trust so publicly , they could have informed users that it's Google's decision and they are sorry. I mean it's not like they advertised it being unlocked and able to install Coreelec so they have nothing to be ashamed of.

They also freely give out the password to become a developer if you have a SN number of your box, and have said
"If you're experiencing issues, such as being unable to run the CoreELEC systems, or if the developer options are locked, please send your device's SN number to [email protected]. We will provide solutions." 

again this is going to look really bad if now they don't "provide solutions" and why go to all the bother to give out an email. do the confirmation with the SN number then relay the message back to people.

They could have said, we apologise but to maintain our license and have access to the features we advertised the box to run we have to comply with the demands of said license holders, we hope you understand.

so to me it seems as though for some reason even being a developer we don't get an unlocked bootloader, so software will fix it, once they understand why it won't allow us.

100% they had no idea the developments of what Coreelec and the community have achieved so far on this box, G1 was listed number 1 in Coreelec best coreelec box for this year. And it's not even polished yet. I've mentioned all this to them, so if it's not Google/Dolby stopping them then to profit from this development , it's in their best interest to allow Coreelec.

Also this quote from Astrotrain might give KinHank a push

"For those who are lamenting the decline of the Kinhank should realize that this is going to lead to a flood of S905X4-J devices and broader support for FEL.
From the experiences here, it’s fairly clear what users want
A remote with IR
An integrated IR receiver
A microsd card slot
The ability to install on the emmc
HS400 speed for the emmc
non-pcie Gigabit Ethernet
Wifi 7 or at least Wifi 6
USB 3.0 port and USB 2.0 port
HDMI 2.1
Optical out
Analog out
Certified Android 14
Any manufacturer that can follow these guidelines for cheap will have a bestseller."

I don't own a company and even I can see if KinHank don't let Coreelec run, then in 4 months time we'll have a company that will give us what we want.
as long as the price is around $90 (higher than $72 G1) then it still will outclass everything for that price or under.

logically from everything I've said, company brand , reputation, honesty, mindshare, market share, first mover advantage, been out for 8 months so why would Google/dolby have a go at them now, I think we'll get Coreelec working on G1 as soon as they release another update.

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - signde - 2024-09-05

(2024-09-05, 09:27)noggin Wrote: If running CoreElec lets you access licensed Dolby Vision functionality through CoreElec accessing and using the Android Dolby Vision code installed in an Android TV partition on the emmc on the same device (Which is how Homatics and Dune boxes enable Dolby Vison in CE currently?) - then that would surely be reason enough for Dolby to require box manufacturers to lock them, or otherwise protect the Dolby licensed functionality, or lose their Dolby Vision access?  It's allowing unlicensed applications to use licensed functionality - which may be a breach of Dolby's licensing.  (I'm not saying this is the cause - just that it's plausible)

That's incorrect. The method for running CE with dolby vision is the same for Homatics / Dune as it is for the AM6B+, you have to copy over the dovi.ko file. If you look at the official instructions, you will see they are exactly the same for all s905x2, s922x, and s905x4 devices.

The fact that you have to boot from USB rather than emmc directly on the Homatics and Dune is due to other reasons.

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - noggin - 2024-09-05

(2024-09-05, 15:22)signde Wrote:
(2024-09-05, 09:27)noggin Wrote: If running CoreElec lets you access licensed Dolby Vision functionality through CoreElec accessing and using the Android Dolby Vision code installed in an Android TV partition on the emmc on the same device (Which is how Homatics and Dune boxes enable Dolby Vison in CE currently?) - then that would surely be reason enough for Dolby to require box manufacturers to lock them, or otherwise protect the Dolby licensed functionality, or lose their Dolby Vision access?  It's allowing unlicensed applications to use licensed functionality - which may be a breach of Dolby's licensing.  (I'm not saying this is the cause - just that it's plausible)

That's incorrect. The method for running CE with dolby vision is the same for Homatics / Dune as it is for the AM6B+, you have to copy over the dovi.ko file. If you look at the official instructions, you will see they are exactly the same for all s905x2, s922x, and s905x4 devices.

The fact that you have to boot from USB rather than emmc directly on the Homatics and Dune is due to other reasons.

Ah - I stand corrected. I was under the impression that copying the dovi.ko was only a requirement for the Ugoos - apologies for my incorrect assumptions.

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - Sholander - 2024-09-05

(2024-09-05, 15:46)noggin Wrote:
(2024-09-05, 15:22)signde Wrote:  

Ah - I stand corrected. I was under the impression that copying the dovi.ko was only a requirement for the Ugoos - apologies for my incorrect assumptions.

There are two different dovi.ko versions, one for S905x2 & S922x/z, and second for S905x4 that need to be copied to appropriate path.

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - Orio - 2024-09-05

I will be a owner to a AM6B, is there a guide to follow when it comes to the dovi files? Can I use the stable version for CE when installing it?

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - MatteN - 2024-09-05

(2024-09-05, 19:55)Orio Wrote: I will be a owner to a AM6B, is there a guide to follow when it comes to the dovi files? Can I use the stable version for CE when installing it?

Maybe check in the CoreELEC forum...

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - hdmkv - 2024-09-05

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - bazzle - 2024-09-06

I received my G1 last night. Put latest CoreElec  NG sd card in slot, held in reset button on side, turned on power, let go of button when G1 colourful message on screen, Booted into CE  Played some videos that stuttered on X3 player ok.
Wired ethernet 340Mbps /wifi 5g same. Higher speed from Internet provider this morning 560Mbps.
Still testing this morning. I don’t have a DB TV atm only Samsung Oled (HDR etc).
I did NOT sign into Google or open the loaded software,it is for CE use only so no chance of upgrade stuffing anything. (hopefully)
CPU temp 54c to 59c
Baz

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - hdmkv - 2024-09-06

@clarkss12, props to you for recommending the Ugoos UR02 remote (but, maybe not quite for the reason you may be using it Wink). I had ordered 2 for both my AM6B+ units & love them! They're lightweight, just the right size, with ample buttons/functions, and darn cheap!

So, first tried with the pair of config files needed to use in IR mode. Great... but, one major drawback (at least for me): remote needs a fairly direct line-of-sight (given IR mode) to the AM6B+. My A/V rack is off to the side & my projector is in front, so less than ideal.

Thought I'd try Bluetooth, and IMHO this works best. This functions like a Fire TV remote, but better. First paired w/my smart TV in my family room, which itself was already paired w/my soundbar. Then paired UR02 with AM6B+ under CoreELEC settings > Bluetooth. Like a Fire TV remote, the UR02 kept/carried over the volume up/down & mute functionality, but added several CE/Kodi functions. So, these buttons just worked right off the bat:
  • Volume up/down & mute working as I described above/below to control soundbar/AVR volume
  • Mouse toggle/pointer
  • D-pad
  • the 'x-back' (below the gray power) & 'arrow-back' (to left of home button) functioning as back/return
  • Hamburger button bringing up context menu
  • 'Home' taking me back to main Kodi menu/home

Remaining buttons didn't do anything or not quite what we'd expect. The two power buttons on the top turned off my TV, but not back on. The red power button also turned off AM6B+/CE & back on. However, using the Keymap Editor add-on, I was able to map the globe button (below the volume controls) to do a video library scan, and the search button next to it to bring up Global Search. Both handy.

The only buttons I haven't been able to map as of now are the gray up/down, bottom skip left/right (orange/blue) & the Music (green). And the center mic/voice button, which not working under CE isn't surprising.

I paired my other UR02 in my home theater set-up, and got it working to control everything as above, but this time, volume up/down & mute w/my AVR.

Overall, awesome for just for a $8 (approx.) remote!

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - MediaPi - 2024-09-06

update on the KinHank G1. The Mod for the facebook has deleted anything about Coreelec. Seems it's permanent and KinHank will have it locked down from now on so as a Kodi box it's a no go. For anyone who bought one, don't update firmware. For those who updated firmware, that sucks. Maybe Coreelec member could have a way to downgrade

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - bazzle - 2024-09-06

What if you load CE the way I did. 

Put latest CoreElec  NG/NE sd card in slot, hold in reset button on side with toothpick etc, turn on power / plug in power lead, let go of button when G1 colourful message on screen, Boots into CE.

No need to open G1 Google side of unit. This is why they are probably locking it down (Google)

Baz

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - Sholander - 2024-09-06

You got your G1 with original/old firmware, so you could do this. If your G1 arrived with new firmware, there is no way that you could install CE.
All G1 boxes that are now in stores have this original FW installed, so are still OK to buy, if you need CE installed.
When present stock runs out, new ones will come with new FW that disables CE installation

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - Sholander - 2024-09-06

(2024-09-06, 09:59)MediaPi Wrote: Seems it's permanent and KinHank will have it locked down from now on so as a Kodi box it's a no go. For anyone who bought one, don't update firmware. For those who updated firmware, that sucks. Maybe Coreelec member could have a way to downgrade

Those that updated to new FW need to contact KinHank to provide them original FW so that they can revert their G1 to original state, the state they paid for it. Otherwise they are cheated and should think about legal actions against KinHank.