Kodi Community Forum
Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 (/showthread.php?tid=376035)

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - noggin - 2024-09-12

(2024-09-12, 03:50)hdmkv Wrote: Also need premium apps? Get a second box, a Fire TV, Android/Google TV, or even a Roku. Or, use your smart TV/projector apps.

100% this. Apple TV 4K may be pricy - but it's the best DRM streaming box I've found. Supports dynamic frame rate switching, dynamic HDR/SDR Rec 709/Rec 2020 switching, has a nice UI and 'just works'. If you have a TV capable of QMS-VRR then the more recent Apple TV's support for that means you don't get an HDMI re-sync or 'bonk' on frame rate switches (though you do on format switches between DV+HDR and SDR etc.)

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - Cinephile - 2024-09-12

(2024-09-12, 03:50)hdmkv Wrote: My advice... for whatever it's worth, stick w/Ugoos AM6B+ w/CE for the best Kodi local media playback out there today w/FEL DV + HD/object-based audio + full 3D. It's worth double the price of a Kinhank G1, especially considering it matches what the best Oppo Blu-ray players achieve(d). Also need premium apps? Get a second box, a Fire TV, Android/Google TV, or even a Roku. Or, use your smart TV/projector apps.
Figured as much.

People jumped so quickly to conclusions in an attempt to twist the narrative on affordable Kodi boxes, but ultimately you get what you pay for. AM6B+ it is.

Thanks for your first-hand impressions either way!

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - MediaPi - 2024-09-12

(2024-09-12, 03:50)hdmkv Wrote: So, I took delivery of my Kinhank G1 today, which I had ordered off AliExpress on a whim/impulse buy after all the buzz about it being 'the' bargain media player to do it all, w/FEL DV & official Android TV. Came with firmware 11.1.4. Bottom line, and this is just my opinion, don't bother for CE/Kodi use, it's a POS! Even if you get one w/the last firmware before the Android 11 bootloader lock. I wasted $68 (shipped total), and more importantly, 4 unnecessary hours of my life Sad!

Starting with the positives, yes, it's cheap for an official Android TV box. Once the box auto-updates to the newer Google TV interface, it's like having a (slower) nVidia Shield TV Pro. Wi-fi 6 performance is solid; was able to get 610+ Mbps. But, then again, if Android/Google TV is the main appeal, just get an onn Google TV 4K Pro--it's a better device at even le$$, just $50 at Wal-Mart!

As a CoreELEC box, it... mostly sucks, and has erratic behavior. Yes, HD/object-based audio works & DV FEL works, but performance, man, is it just overall sluggish, especially navigating into network shares w/large libraries! Tried SMB, NFS & WebDAV. Nowhere fast as AM6B+, especially with HS400 enabled in CE, and not even on par with Homatics/Dune S905X4 boxes (which I also find kinda slow). Wired performance using a USB3.0 ethernet adapter gave me a 295Mbps connection as best, and I was able to play up to the 250Mbps Jellyfish clip w/o stutter, most times, sometimes not. With Wi-fi 6, when booting into CE, the best speeds I got were around a pathetic 90Mbps, with network shares still accessible. Going into the Android/Google TV side first, then rebooting allowed me to get 485+ Mbps on CE side, but network shares then became inaccessible. Tried multiple times to get this working right, only to not work again, and lead to frustration. Occasionally, actual Wi-fi 6 was usable on the CE side; but, erratic like I said.

My advice... for whatever it's worth, stick w/Ugoos AM6B+ w/CE for the best Kodi local media playback out there today w/FEL DV + HD/object-based audio + full 3D. It's worth double the price of a Kinhank G1, especially considering it matches what the best Oppo Blu-ray players achieve(d). Also need premium apps? Get a second box, a Fire TV, Android/Google TV, or even a Roku. Or, use your smart TV/projector apps.

The one persons advice I trust. thanks for your sacrifice and your testing. I hope you can get your money back or sell it. Now I can forget about that crap. Guess it's Odroid N2+ for another 2 years.

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - Sholander - 2024-09-12

(2024-09-12, 03:50)hdmkv Wrote: So, I took delivery of my Kinhank G1 today, which I had ordered off AliExpress on a whim/impulse buy after all the buzz about it being 'the' bargain media player to do it all, w/FEL DV & official Android TV. Came with firmware 11.1.4. Bottom line, and this is just my opinion, don't bother for CE/Kodi use, it's a POS! Even if you get one w/the last firmware before the Android 11 bootloader lock. I wasted $68 (shipped total), and more importantly, 4 unnecessary hours of my life Sad!

I think you expected too much from this (cheep) device. I got one knowing that a box like this cannot ever perform as my AM6B+ or N2 nor can it be compared in any way. 
I got mine for my holiday place (to replace my old "holiday"  box) to watch locally my FEL movies, and on Android to use my local IPTV app and SmartTube.
I cannot say that it does not do anything I expected it to do. For the price I paid for it I am completely satisfied, not a cent wasted; just my two cents.

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - pameijer - 2024-09-12

This afternoon my Ugoos AM6B Plus gets delivered. It is meant to replace my Vero 5, but on the Vero I also have Homebridge running. Is it possible to install Homebridge on the Ugoos once CoreElec is installed?

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - mrcleeo - 2024-09-12

Maybe by the time av1 becomes relevant, there will probably be a newer, faster box. Hopefully by then, we will see 2160p/dv/Atmos movies encoded in av1

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - hdmkv - 2024-09-12

(2024-09-12, 12:39)Sholander Wrote: I think you expected too much from this (cheep) device.
I didn't. Pure curiosity, and shiny or ooh possibly cool box 'addiction' Wink. Our friend @clarkss12 knows what I'm talking about Smile.
(2024-09-12, 12:38)MediaPi Wrote: I hope you can get your money back or sell it. Now I can forget about that crap. Guess it's Odroid N2+ for another 2 years.
Will use it in my bedroom an an Android/Google TV box. Works pretty well as this. Re: N2+, definitely was (is) a good Kodi solution, but if FEL DV is important, why not go for an AM6B+?

(2024-09-12, 13:32)hdmkv Wrote:
(2024-09-12, 12:39)Sholander Wrote: I think you expected too much from this (cheep) device.
I didn't. Pure curiosity, and shiny or ooh possibly cool box 'addiction' Wink. Our friend @clarkss12 knows what I'm talking about Smile

Hehe, yes; I'm amazed at his addiction, never misses an opportunity to get a new box, just for the heck of it  Smile

(2024-09-12, 03:50)hdmkv Wrote: Starting with the positives, yes, it's cheap for an official Android TV box. Once the box auto-updates to the newer Google TV interface, it's like having a (slower) nVidia Shield TV Pro.
As a CoreELEC box, it... mostly sucks, and has erratic behavior. Yes, HD/object-based audio works & DV FEL works, but performance, man, is it just overall sluggish, especially navigating into network shares w/large libraries! Tried SMB, NFS & WebDAV. Nowhere fast as AM6B+, especially with HS400 enabled in CE, and not even on par with Homatics/Dune S905X4 boxes (which I also find kinda slow). 

Btw, a comparison with any SEI S905X4-K/J box (like Humatics, Nokia 8010..,) would be more interesting, since they cost twice as much.

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - clarkss12 - 2024-09-12

Yesterday, I tried to watch a Blu-ray video encoded in VC-1 (no NOT Viet Cong), and it was an adventure finding a player that will play that Video Codec.  First, I tried using the native Android Kodi using my Dune Homatics box, that was a failure, next I tried using the Dune Media app, also failure.  Switched to CoreELEC running on the same Dune Homatics box, still a failure, even when setting VC-1 to software decoding.  

Since NO version of Amlogic boxes has ever been able to play videos with the VC-1 codec, I always used Emby since it transcoded that video.  Even Emby did NOT play that movie using the Emby app under Android using the Dune Homatics box.  Now with these newer boxes my need for Emby and transcoding is non-existent, so I rarely use it now.

Now, back to my story.  I then tested my new Ugoos SK1 running CoreELEC and it played that VC-1 (still not Viet Cong) perfectly (as my eyes detected).  That was with the (Accelerate VC1 set to Always), so hardware decoding NOT software decoding.  Keep in mind that this Ugoos SK1 box using the latest Amlogic SoC, S928X-K.

And NO, YOU do not need to go out and purchase one.  But it is a fine machine.  Ugoos has been around since the beginning of these boxes/sticks about 15 years ago.  They have the best software/firmware developers of any of these media players.  Shamelessly, I have used THEIR firmware on a lot of different media players throughout the years.  Even "Slimbox" mods use the Ugoos firmware as their base.

AM6B+ under CE plays VC-1 fine for me. Have tried a handful of titles, including 1080p/23.976 Blu-ray & HD DVD rips. Was also able to play a 1080i/29.970 concert video.

(2024-09-12, 17:23)hdmkv Wrote: AM6B+ under CE plays VC-1 fine for me. Have tried a handful of titles, including 1080p/23.976 Blu-ray & HD DVD rips. Was also able to play a 1080i/29.970 concert video.

I am testing it right now on my AM6B+.  
BTW, per your recommendations, I purchased a Fire TV Cube (2nd gen) from Ebay with intentions of using it with CE.  It is still in the box and I just don't have the motivation to "mess" with it...  Sad  .  So, guess it will remain unopened until I get soooo bored that I will "tinker with it.

I've been curious about it as well... must resist!  Tongue Wink . It won't perform as well as AM6B+ being limited by CE needing to run off USB2.0.

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - scoobydooscollar - 2024-09-12

Quote:And NO, YOU do not need to go out and purchase one.  But it is a fine machine.  Ugoos has been around since the beginning of these boxes/sticks about 15 years ago.  They have the best software/firmware developers of any of these media players.  Shamelessly, I have used THEIR firmware on a lot of different media players throughout the years.  Even "Slimbox" mods use the Ugoos firmware as their base.

I impulse purchased one after seeing your review and being able to get it for $165 after a coupon and some coins on Aliexpress. It is probably my favorite general streaming box now. I have it set up on at my desk to play IPTV, movies etc all day and it is flawless. I haven't even tried CoreELEC on it since I don't need FEL in this location and PLEX. Tivimate. Stremio, Smartube etc. run great. I have copies of an old TV series that for some reason won't play on ONN boxes, AppleTV and even the Shield and the SK1 plays them fine. It is very quick and like you said, I think the firmware is great.

Ugoos states that it is "The first device in the new brand line". I'm looking forward to whatever they follow up it with.

(2024-09-12, 19:55)scoobydooscollar Wrote:
Quote:And NO, YOU do not need to go out and purchase one.  But it is a fine machine.  Ugoos has been around since the beginning of these boxes/sticks about 15 years ago.  They have the best software/firmware developers of any of these media players.  Shamelessly, I have used THEIR firmware on a lot of different media players throughout the years.  Even "Slimbox" mods use the Ugoos firmware as their base.

I impulse purchased one after seeing your review and being able to get it for $165 after a coupon and some coins on Aliexpress. It is probably my favorite general streaming box now. I have it set up on at my desk to play IPTV, movies etc all day and it is flawless. I haven't even tried CoreELEC on it since I don't need FEL in this location and PLEX. Tivimate. Stremio, Smartube etc. run great. I have copies of an old TV series that for some reason won't play on ONN boxes, AppleTV and even the Shield and the SK1 plays them fine. It is very quick and like you said, I think the firmware is great.

Ugoos states that it is "The first device in the new brand line". I'm looking forward to whatever they follow up it with.
That was a very good price for this quality machine. These boxes have come a long way since the very beginning many years ago. Ugoos has led the way in hardware and software support.

I mainly purchased the SK1 out of shame for me using their firmware on different cheap boxes throughout the years. But, out of all the media players I have, this is right at the top of my list.