Kodi Community Forum
Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 (/showthread.php?tid=376035)

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - Sholander - 2024-09-18

(2024-09-18, 14:48)hjames19 Wrote: Does the Ugoos SK1 support streaming apps like Netflix and Amazon?

Dune HD Premier 4k Pro

Although it has Widevine L1 certificate, it does not have Netflix certification (like Dune HD Premier 4k Pro) so it will play only in SD quality, not HD nor UHD, from mentioned streaming services. Btw, it is also NOT advertised as a "Streaming box", so definitely no go...

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - hjames19 - 2024-09-18

Yeah I knew the SK1 didn’t advertise it but I wasn’t sure if it did and it just wasn’t listed.

Thanks!

Based on picture quality will there be much of a difference in the boxes listed when streaming digital media from my HDD? I got a Seagate IronWolf Pro 16tb hard drive on the way.

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - mrcleeo - 2024-09-18

what about the x96 x10 pro? how can you tell thats a pro or not?

ahhh 8gb is the pro version from what i read

nm it doesnt support FEL

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - Sholander - 2024-09-18

(2024-09-18, 15:09)hjames19 Wrote: Based on picture quality will there be much of a difference in the boxes listed when streaming digital media from my HDD? I got a Seagate IronWolf Pro 16tb hard drive on the way.

No.

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - hdmkv - 2024-09-18

Anyone w/AM6B+ experiencing audio synch issues? Nothing new; it has been present over several CE updates. Unsure when it started. After a quick skip forward/back once, audio & video get in synch & remain that way. But, still a minor annoyance, mostly w/UHD rips.

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - Cinephile - 2024-09-22

Look what the cat dragged in!

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - Orio - 2024-09-22

(2024-08-26, 17:50)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2024-08-26, 17:37)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks... I ordered 2 here at $9.45 each shipped. Can you please share link to remote.confg for this?

Just sent you a PM with the link for the config file for that remote.

Edit:  Dune HD is sending me this remote this week for testing.  It has all of the buttons that are needed for a good media player experience.

Dune HD remote R4
Any chance you can send me the link for the remote config file for this remote also? Smile Got 1 in the mail today

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - destroyer2omega - 2024-09-22

(2024-09-18, 23:48)hdmkv Wrote: Anyone w/AM6B+ experiencing audio synch issues? Nothing new; it has been present over several CE updates. Unsure when it started. After a quick skip forward/back once, audio & video get in synch & remain that way. But, still a minor annoyance, mostly w/UHD rips.

Yep i also notice audio sync issues with uhd remuxes on external hds. Thanks for the tip gonna try that when I watch a remux again.

RE: State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024 - clarkss12 - 2024-09-22

(2024-09-22, 14:03)Orio Wrote:
(2024-08-26, 17:50)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2024-08-26, 17:37)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks... I ordered 2 here at $9.45 each shipped. Can you please share link to remote.confg for this?

Just sent you a PM with the link for the config file for that remote.

Edit:  Dune HD is sending me this remote this week for testing.  It has all of the buttons that are needed for a good media player experience.

Dune HD remote R4
Any chance you can send me the link for the remote config file for this remote also? Smile Got 1 in the mail today
Are you referring to the remote config for the Dune R4 or Ugoos UR02?  I don't have the remote config for the Dune remotes, I wish I did.

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - ashlar - 2024-09-23

(2024-09-16, 03:10)hdmkv Wrote: recommend WebDAV over SMB

By chance, do you have a good guide to use WebDAV on Linux (Mint in my case)? I don't strictly have need for it, but I'd prefer as streamlined a setup as I can have (bit of a hobby, if I'm honest).

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - hdmkv - 2024-09-23

Couldn't find a single WebDAV guide that had everything you'd need, so created one here (PDF)... using either Synology or QNAP. Should be similar with other networked servers.

----------

(2024-09-22, 15:02)destroyer2omega Wrote: Yep i also notice audio sync issues with uhd remuxes on external hds. Thanks for the tip gonna try that when I watch a remux again.
Seeing several mentions of audio synch issues. The solution suggested is HDMI from CoreELEC box connected directly to TV, then via ARC/EARC from it to AVR. May try it, or experiment with advancedsettings.

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - nowwhereman - 2024-09-23

Is the Homatics Plus still being recommended as the best player for Blu-ray collections?

How does it compare to the Shield in terms of speed?

No, not blanketly. Homatics has noticeably slower performance than Shield. But, it is a do-it-all player for local & online streaming needs. See post #1 for recommendations depending on your needs.

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - nowwhereman - 2024-09-23

Are any of the recommended players faster than the Shield? I already have a Shield Pro, I'd like an upgrade that isn't a downgrade in power.

Fire TV Cube 3. If gaming is also a need, then Shield is better. Main downside to Cube 3 is Amazon's cluttered ad-filled user interface.

------------------------------
(2024-09-12, 22:43)hdmkv Wrote: Okay, taking another one for the team Wink! Ordered a S928X-J (not -K) box to test.
So, think I'm done testing 'untested' boxes for a while No Blush. The X96 X10, while not as bad as the Kinhank G1, has different problems even if it does some things well.

Did my testing below only with CoreELEC. Started running it off a mSD card, then did install to internal to run off the box's internal flash drive.

The Good:
  • Snappy, rather powerful box, as expected being powered by AMLogic's S928X SoC
  • CE runs fast using mSD card, but even faster when installed to internal flash storage
  • About 1/2 the price at $100 or less shipped compared to Ugoos' AM8/Pro or SK1 (but, maybe there's a good reason for this; see 'Bad' & 'Ugly' below)
  • I had ordered the 4GB/32GB variant before there were reports in CE forum that only the 8GB/64GB 'Pro' version was equipped w/the 'J' SoC that supported Dolby Vision. Obviously untrue because mine does! And, this means that the base 4GB/32GB variant is also equipped w/the 'J' Dolby Vision chip
  • DV quality looks excellent (when those videos eventually play; see 'Ugly' below)

The Bad:
  • Ethernet quality is sub-par. Found it odd the 400Mbps Jellyfish bitrate test clip stuttered. Did an iperf test between it & my NAS, and voila, found speeds caps out at about 475Mbps. However, using a USB3.0 Ethernet adapter, I got gigabit speeds
  • DV MEL only as we know, no FEL (but, see 'Hope' below)

The Ugly: (see video clip below)
  • DV videos take crazy long to play, and others (SDR, HDR) are slow-ish to start playing compared to Ugoos AM6B+ or even a generic S905X4 box
  • Some HDR videos exhibited nasty artifacts

The Hope:
  • As S928X devices are still new, keeping my X96 X10 to see if there are improvements ahead on the CE side
  • As I haven't tested the pricier S928X-J boxes, quite likely they perform better w/CE than X96 X10
  • There is word FEL support is coming soon to S928X-J devices