Kodi Community Forum
Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 (/showthread.php?tid=376035)

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - MediaPi - 2024-09-28

(2024-09-28, 17:42)hdmkv Wrote: Wish I still had an Odroid N2+ to test. With all the cool innovation & development with CE lately, wondering if it would this 4-5 year old device would now tie Ugoos AM6B+ or come a close second.

You've just come across the developments yourself. This hardware is 5 years old and people don't expect that old hardware to be so much , therefore keep an eye out on ebay
if you live in the states you could have gotten this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/126680487779?_skw=odroid+n2&itmmeta=01J8WNTGN3Y7YCJTNF8M32SBEC&hash=item1d7ebed763:g:ZNYAAOSwuRhm6yr7&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4HoV3kP08IDx%2BKZ9MfhVJKlamBfCpMH8V9uhJXGV2qyq1C3DgaRc4W%2BTcBiL3HumpQ2j0vf5pn7eQazmgsVzLAXZCHg5dlz2F7y8JzopOzMKFHLgoEOQz%2FtQRoivZIjDfDCHItzD61%2B4K2uWKT8l45YOrmFBHselG%2BinBTbzc6Kce86iyOEfFteHW7P4fH5mbMcW3qEjLpU7AkNR%2BDnpxjnRMdgo3%2BG%2Fsg9ZNLii36ALxzPkb%2Ffaf6RLjiRwmN3cgONcDpAGn%2BbqVgiBbFncwon%2Bh1XDyp9guff27PHbmboF%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR86K6pXHZA

BLOODY HELL I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT THAT
$82 for an N2+ 4GB 
HDMI Cable
Ethernet Cable
Wireless Keyboard
SanDisk 256GB SD Card (Installed)

ITS GOT 256 EMMC that alone is worth more than $82. f me, whoever got that is one lucky f
the wireless , I'm so jelous. The bigger the EMMC module the faster the speeds. that would probably be better than a Ugoos AMB6+

this goes to show, people don't realise (YET) what the N2+ can now do. most of the reasons to upgrade to a AMB6+ was dolby vision. it has very similar chipset otherwise and now that
Odroid N2+ can do Dolby vision, that point has gone. All N2+ are now N3.

Set an alert for an N2 , you'll grab one below $80 probably, probably $70 with say a $32GB EMMC, you don't even need an emmc to usb reader. you can use the sdcard to put stuff on the EMMC

one last thing to note. I would bet good money the cooling solution on the N2+ is better than the AMB6+
thus we should get decent prolonged performance.

here is another
https://www.ebay.com/itm/405088283107?_skw=odroid+n2&itmmeta=01J8WNTGN30FSPFP0B870EB4AT&hash=item5e5124a9e3:g:Ao4AAOSwtx1mjRSg&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4HoV3kP08IDx%2BKZ9MfhVJKm%2BD9OPRrrA3DcWbGEmAfdUsJ%2B8o6kwr9e8MqIUt7%2F%2BVRwXJkIc5kmbjs9O7EbL0bFvKFKxPrqPiZPu6O4ajtw8iaa4PXgVbAbmSqVziBd5cOxUUb7WECRBQgk8tZ1BMb3vgPaWuWtjmU2ZpSqF9rJ5C1gPVj3kJPB7%2Br4xwdB0f3MZCcvjvC6atfughmQS5zSTKeUg0xx%2B2FvSAh6BbRPN8Ccv6TMYenNGjn2MKQfCBN1lW8Xu1lNNPjZcZlY6XNOjsX4zdabEvJls071Ngy53%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR86K6pXHZA

strange I feel like I get more used ones come up here in UK ebay than the states.
I'm sure you'll get a chance leading up to Christmas when people upgrade and have no idea that they don't need to, 
also no one will get DV on CoreELEC unless you install community DTB files. CoreELEC will never have it on their official builds, therefore no one that doesn't know, will ever know unless you
get lucky on the coreelec forums and know about this specifically. even you didn't know and you frequent them forums. thus you will get a chance to buy one for $70 easily
would love for you to get one and test it!

The funny thing is @hdmkv , for someone who loves to tinker and loves kodi as a hobby, their is no better box to do that right now than the N2+.
You can never brick an N2+ no matter what you do to it! and now it has DV. 
also this DTB image, you can tweak to trade in heat for performance, right? so you could do more testing, plus the SBC Odroid N2+ definitely has the best cooling solutions out of any boxes
so we should be able to squeeze slightly more performance for heat. Though, I won't want to mess with a 5 year old board for that. 
I'm happy to keep this for another 5 years. or until the addons I use no longer work on the older firmware
saying that. I'll be surprised the community doesn't upgrade the s922x chipset, and now all s922x chipsets can do DV, so right now unless they get s928x chipset working with Dolby vision, the s922x is the best

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - rome - 2024-09-28

(2024-09-28, 17:42)hdmkv Wrote: Wish I still had an Odroid N2+ to test. With all the cool innovation & development with CE lately, wondering if it would this 4-5 year old device would now tie Ugoos AM6B+ or come a close second.

Odroid N2 can't playback DV profile 5 nor can it do fel.

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - hdmkv - 2024-09-28

That's a significant gap. Looks like N2/N2+ should belong after Dune HD Pro Vision 4K under 'Best Pure Kodi Media Players' in post #1.

(2024-09-28, 19:26)rome Wrote:

Odroid N2 can't playback DV profile 5 nor can it do fel.
thanks for this, then AMB6+ is the better machine. though for the price of a second hand odroid N2(+) , it's better value if you don't need DV profile 5 or fel

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - nowwhereman - 2024-09-29

Thanks, I ordered an AM6+ from AliExpress. Shipping is 1-2 weeks

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - skank1 - 2024-09-29

Hi @hdmkv
Its been a long time, glad ur alive too Smile

Anyway, looking for a mediaplayer and dont know what to do.
It should stream netflix, disney + etc in HD
It also has to do audio passthrough to get dts-hdma, atmos, truehd, dts x etc etc from nas
What do i buy nowadays?

- shield pro , dated and way to expensive for what it is
- shield tube, still date but ok price
- amazon fire 4k max (dont know this device)
- nokia streaming box (dont know this device either)

Thx for the help

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - akmarwah010203 - 2024-09-29

I made a thread for fellow S905x4 users to try out the cache changes from MasterKeyxda, please test and report back Big Grin

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - skank1 - 2024-09-29

I just read that the new google tv streamer DOES passthrough when using kodi, vlc and nova player...
What about emby?
Can someone confirm?

This is the article:
Update 26-09: There was initially some confusion about the supported audio formats. It appeared that although passthrough for TrueHD and DTS

was not supported, the Streamer could decode them and output them as PCM. This turns out not to be the case. Yes, apps like Kodi, VLC, and Nova Player can process TrueHD audio, but they do so using their own internal decoders, not those of Android itself. If you use one of those apps, you can practically play video files with high-res audio. After extensive testing, we can confirm that the Streamer supports passthrough for the following formats: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos, DTS, and DTS-HD HR.
Why toggles for TrueHD and DTS-HD are visible in the software is unclear to us. It seems to be a bug. At the API level, the Streamer indicates to apps that there is support for TrueHD and DTS-HD, even though that is not the case. We have contacted Google about this, and the company says these will be removed in a future update to avoid confusion.

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - MediaPi - 2024-09-29

anyone interested in testing a script for boxes with s905x4? 

Homatics Box R Plus / Dune HD R Plus / Rocktek G2 / Nokia 8010 / Ugoos X4Q Extra / Dune HD Pro Vision 4K / Kinhank G1
one person reported to have had success. on the s922x chipset people have reported to gain 25%
https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/s905x4-device-tree-performance-efficiency-testing-needed/52786

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - scoobydooscollar - 2024-09-29

Looks like Aliexpress has another sale starting Oct. 1st if anyone is looking to pick something up.

A Ugoos SK1 will be around $171 after coupon which is only about $20/$25 more than the Ugoos AM6B+ since it falls below the $169 threshold for the higher coupon. Prices may come down a bit more as the sale actually starts.

Any other S928 boxes people are watching incase CoreELEC FEL may be achieved? I'm looking at the k variants and there aren't too many. The Minix is pricey at $350($299 direct from Minix).

The Homatics Box R 4k Plus looks to be around $92 but may go lower, the last sale it dropped to the $82 range.

RockTek G2 around $89 so far.

Ugoos X4Q around $92

(2024-09-29, 20:20)scoobydooscollar Wrote: Looks like Aliexpress has another sale starting Oct. 1st if anyone is looking to pick something up.

A Ugoos SK1 will be around $171 after coupon which is only about $20/$25 more than the Ugoos AM6B+ since it falls below the $169 threshold for the higher coupon. Prices may come down a bit more as the sale actually starts.

Any other S928 boxes people are watching incase CoreELEC FEL may be achieved? I'm looking at the k variants and there aren't too many. The Minix is pricey at $350($299 direct from Minix).

The Homatics Box R 4k Plus looks to be around $92 but may go lower, the last sale it dropped to the $82 range.

RockTek G2 around $89 so far.

Ugoos X4Q around $92
they love their chinese new year which is in February, I'm not familiar with the best sales. I know for a fact the best sales in UK is black Friday and sometimes leading upto new years.
but I'd guess they'll have close to their best sale then.

so no need to rush. Also why bother upgrading for a while now that we have a substantial performance upgrade on AMB6+ and seems like the s905x4 chipset too.
also really bad time to buy right now.If they get FEL working on the S928X then it's game over. that will be the box CoreELEC will work on the most going forward. that box is guaranteed to get updates for like 6 years and it will smoke everything else. $25 more for that is nothing spread over 6 years of owning it. and in 6 years because of inflation the box would be worth 80% of what you pay now, like what happened to the N2+.
And no ones talked about it but what if we get a similar performance boost on the s928x? I wonder if we haven't had one because not many have it in their hand. but if that got a speed boost of 25% plus FEL, that's a beast! Good 6 year box.
unless your wife divorced you and you don't have a kodi box, I'd wait. or get a new wife.

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - scoobydooscollar - 2024-09-29

I agree there is no hurry. Just posting a heads up for anyone who is interested in buying soon.

I'm basically in the research mode for the S928 boxes as I wait to see what develops. Trying to get a feel for what is out there and what prices are like, so I know when a good price comes along. The Ugoss SK1 seems to be the box to beat. I like Minix but that is one expensive box. 

If the S928 gets FEL support and the performance buff it will be a total beast. It is a strong performer as is. If the announcement drops, I suspect Aliexpress will ship out a ton of SK1s.

(2024-09-29, 20:50)scoobydooscollar Wrote: I agree there is no hurry. Just posting a heads up for anyone who is interested in buying soon.

I'm basically in the research mode for the S928 boxes as I wait to see what develops. Trying to get a feel for what is out there and what prices are like, so I know when a good price comes along. The Ugoss SK1 seems to be the box to beat. I like Minix but that is one expensive box. 

If the S928 gets FEL support and the performance buff it will be a total beast. It is a strong performer as is. If the announcement drops, I suspect Aliexpress will ship out a ton of SK1s.
strangely enough the Minix sold out very very quick. the 2 people that bought it must be over the moon.
are they actually having a laugh? even $160 is pushing it. but us nerds understand the value of a $170 box, we know it's worth the price but $350, I don't think I can pay that , even If I had the money especially while the Sk1 is around
minix sent a box to kodi team btw
"If the announcement drops, I suspect Aliexpress will ship out a ton of SK1s" , currently in navigation the AMB6+ won't be far in snappiness to the SK1, it only offers speed boost in library stuff. so anyone with an AMB6+ has no real need to spend money to get that box?

RE: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - hdmkv - 2024-09-29

(2024-09-29, 10:41)skank1 Wrote: Hi @hdmkv
Its been a long time, glad ur alive too Smile

Anyway, looking for a mediaplayer and dont know what to do.
It should stream netflix, disney + etc in HD
It also has to do audio passthrough to get dts-hdma, atmos, truehd, dts x etc etc from nas
What do i buy nowadays?

- shield pro , dated and way to expensive for what it is
- shield tube, still date but ok price
- amazon fire 4k max (dont know this device)
- nokia streaming box (dont know this device either)

Thx for the help
Hangin' in there Wink Big Grin! Since you mention "...stream netflix, disney + etc in HD", some of the boxes in post #1 running CoreELEC should be able to. @clarkss12 would know, at least w/Netflix. I only use Prime Video, even so rarely. 99% BD/UHD rips.

(2024-09-29, 11:12)skank1 Wrote: I just read that the new google tv streamer DOES passthrough when using kodi, vlc and nova player...
What about emby?
Can someone confirm?
From what I've read, it does NOT. In fact. it looks like a subpar device by today's standards. Fire Cube 3 does HD/object-based audio passthrough & supports Netflix, D+, etc. in 4K HDR. The biggest con w/it is Amazon's ad-filled, cluttered UI. But, you can sideload Kodi & add it to the front of your pinned apps row for an easy one-click launch.