Kodi Community Forum
Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024 (/showthread.php?tid=376035)

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - noggin - 2024-02-10

(2024-02-09, 18:09)hdmkv Wrote: That's good to hear. Guessing VC-1 software decode also has smooth playback?

Question is whether there are any benefits to RPi5 over N100? I ordered a N100 miniPC off Amazon yesterday for $120 w/8GB RAM + 256GB SSD. A RPi5 w/8GB RAM + power supply + mSD card is about the same price.

Haven't seen where Linux/LE Intel currently is with 10-bit Rec 2020 HDR10 and HLG at 2160p50/59.94 HEVC/h.265 - last time I checked there were issues still with that (it was dithered 8-bit) - but that was a while ago.

(I don't think Windows has HLG support?)

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - izprtxqkft - 2024-02-10

(2024-02-10, 03:37)jbinkley60 Wrote: sure that alone is Dolby Labs motivation for DV and AC4. 

android set a precedence that you can package proprietary libraries
if android didn't already dominate content then Dolby would have been forced to release to windows/linux
and most devices only support DV profiles offered by streaming services so it again only benefits Widevine secured content

as for AC4, it's probably only not widely supported because it doesn't benefit netflix or hulu or the rest of them since they're all doing EAC3

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - jbinkley60 - 2024-02-10

(2024-02-10, 20:17)izprtxqkft Wrote:
(2024-02-10, 03:37)jbinkley60 Wrote: sure that alone is Dolby Labs motivation for DV and AC4. 

android set a precedence that you can package proprietary libraries
if android didn't already dominate content then Dolby would have been forced to release to windows/linux
and most devices only support DV profiles offered by streaming services so it again only benefits Widevine secured content

as for AC4, it's probably only not widely supported because it doesn't benefit netflix or hulu or the rest of them since they're all doing EAC3

And therein is the exact reason I use separate boxes, since Android is better for and geared towards streaming whereas Linux for local content (IMHO).  Time will tell with Windows and where Dolby aligns there.  What a coup it would be if Microsoft bought Dolby, which they could easily do, but I doubt it is of much interest (except maybe my comments below of the captive market).

As for AC4, the challenge there is that the FCC mandated it for the next gen 4k OTA ATSC 3.0 specs so all US broadcasters are required to broadcast it and thus force the receiver companies to license it from Dolby.  That's a nice deal if can get the government to force the licensing of your product.

Jeff

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - izprtxqkft - 2024-02-10

(2024-02-10, 20:39)jbinkley60 Wrote: And therein is the exact reason I use separate boxes, since Android is better for and geared towards streaming whereas Linux for local content (IMHO).

i've come around to this idea at the first of the year, starting Jan 1
reworked everything so that now i have a single device that plays 'local' content perfectly
relegated all 'streaming' content to Tizen OS since i have Samsung TVs (possibly the first time i've used their smart capability)

so far i've been quite happy with it and it's simplicity

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - jbinkley60 - 2024-02-10

(2024-02-10, 20:55)izprtxqkft Wrote:
(2024-02-10, 20:39)jbinkley60 Wrote: And therein is the exact reason I use separate boxes, since Android is better for and geared towards streaming whereas Linux for local content (IMHO).

i've come around to this idea at the first of the year, starting Jan 1
reworked everything so that now i have a single device that plays 'local' content perfectly
relegated all 'streaming' content to Tizen OS since i have Samsung TVs (possibly the first time i've used their smart capability)

so far i've been quite happy with it and it's simplicity

It took me a few years and a few lumps to get there myself.  I also like the separation to avoid a single box issue taking everything down or a single upgrade with bug causing problems for everything.  Of course it puts more onus onto my Harmony remote controls to switch devices but that's a different bridge to cross in the future. 

I've had Samsung TVs for quite some time and even pre-Tizen.  I went through the OS upgrade process to Tizen with their UHD Evolution kits for their original 4K sets.  Mine is 10 years old and still going strong.  I just don't have HDR but otherwise it is spectacular. 

Jeff

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - Canuma - 2024-02-11

Thanks for compiling this informative list. I am looking forward to get one of those boxes, as right now it seems impossible to use my new Philips TV with Kodi the way I want it.

After researching a bit on my own, It seems like the Dune HD Homatics Box R 4K Plus (I hope I have the right one here, the Homatics without Dune HD is a different product, right?) might do almost everything I want that box to do.
There remain some uncertainties though, I hope you can help solve them.

Is IR fully working, more precisely does it work together with Harmony Remote controls? (900 or One are available)
By fully working I mean, turn it off via IR, Turn it on on given activities. Must also work under CoreElec. I read that for the Homatics without Dune, you have to add an IR-LED. Don't want to do that, thus the decision for the Dune (unless you tell me it isn't working there either)

"Snappiness" under coreElec. Now, this is actually an important one. I am using kodi since the original xbox and was quite happy using it later on X86 hardware. Before I started to use the setup also for gaming, I was a bit concerned about power consumption and always thought about ARM devices. Back then, Raspberry Pi was the way to go (and I like them for what they are) but honestly, testing kodi under RP 1, 2 and 3, I never found them nearly as good as the x86 box. So, how does this box feel with kodi, again, preferable under coreElec (I try to avoid the android setup. If one day I consider streaming like Netflix again, I might very well use the TV for that.). For what its worth, Media is on a synology NAS, the box will be connected via ethernet. Sharing with Samba, mariaDB as kodi db backend, Media is around 1000 FHD Movies and roughly 300 TV shows with varying res. In the future there shall be UHD Blu-ray rips as well. Maybe someone has a video demonstrating that?

4k, Dolby Vision and such.
Yeah, total noob on 4k, HDR and so on. I really don't know yet If I *need* all the bells and whistles, but I certainly don't mind having them.
Most of my media are rips from DVDs and Blu-Rays I bought. I am planning to do the same on 4k media (which will be an adventure on its own).
Now I read that, although the box is advertised supporting DV profile 7 (hope that is the correct term, again, total beginner), it in fact does not, or just partially. I also read that this profile is used on UHD discs, so this is a bit of concern to me.
What I'd like to know, what does that actually mean? What is the outcome? Will I be able to use DV HDR with such Rips? How will they look? (I once tried to watch a HDR Media on my old non 4k, non HDR setup and colors looked strange)

Hope you can help to make a good choice for my next kodi box.

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - hdmkv - 2024-02-11

Think the only differences between the Homatics box & the Dune version of it are:
- Dune media center app
- Larger remote
- IR in addition to Bluetooth (seems most significant)

On DV profiles, I like this explanation from a Dolby engineer:
Quote:...profile 7 relies on two bitstreams, a base layer and an enhancement layer. The EL is added to the BL to generate Dolby Vision HDR data. Profile 8 has just a single layer, but it relies on metadata to generate a "reshaping" function which converts the input (BL) data to Dolby Vision HDR data.
Profile 8 is single layer, which streaming services & media players discussed here use. (Streaming services also use Profile 5, which is the same minus the HDR10 fallback, giving us that pinkish/greenish picture on some displays). When playing UHD rips via our media players, they just ignore the enhancement layer. Flame suit on Wink ... in practical use, with this, the PQ differences for Profile 7 playback are minimal unless you have a top-notch DV display along w/the right full DV playback device.

------------------------------
Noticed Fire TV Cube 3 is on sale right now for $115 ($5 more than lowest BF price) on Amazon. Stick 4K Max is $40.

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - Canuma - 2024-02-11

(2024-02-11, 19:25)hdmkv Wrote: in practical use, with this, the PQ differences for Profile 7 playback are minimal unless you have a top-notch DV display along w/the right full DV playback device.
So you are saying, I will get the picture mostly right, the second layer would just add some more "candy" on top?
That sounds promising. While the new TV is actually really nice, I doubt I would miss that much, tbh currently I enjoy much more the fact that it is an OLED, which already helps to improve the SDR experience.
Thank you for your feedback.

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - clarkss12 - 2024-02-11

(2024-02-11, 19:25)hdmkv Wrote: ------------------------------
Noticed Fire TV Cube 3 is on sale right now for $115 ($5 more than lowest BF price) on Amazon. Stick 4K Max is $40.

Are you getting a kick back from Amazon for pushing the CubeHuh??  LOL 

Lord knows that I have enough boxes/sticks and don't need anymore.  Bout ready to purchase one just for a look see..

My Dune HD Pro One 8K Plus will be in my mailbox tomorrow.  I will be spending some time with that device.

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - hdmkv - 2024-02-11

Ha ha, nope, I wish. Just a good deal for a capable box. Looking forward to your impressions of the Dune 8K box. Just got my Homatics 4K Plus box, and in process of testing. One thing though is that its bottom is magnetic & snaps onto my metal rack. Should I be worried about interference or any ill-effects?!

Talking about deals, the Homatics 4K Plus box has been available for a while at $135 shipped with coupon COREELEC on Homatics site.

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - clarkss12 - 2024-02-11

(2024-02-11, 22:28)hdmkv Wrote: Ha ha, nope, I wish. Just a good deal for a capable box. Looking forward to your impressions of the Dune 8K box. Just got my Homatics 4K Plus box, and in process of testing. One thing though is that its bottom is magnetic & snaps onto my metal rack. Should I be worried about interference or any ill-effects?!

Talking about deals, the Homatics 4K Plus box is $135 shipped with coupon 1HDBIZ on Homatics site.
I am really interested in your review of the Homatics box.  You said you were going to get the ATV12 version beta update.  Wonder how many apps will support the AFR under the ATV 12.

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - Roby77 - 2024-02-12

(2024-02-11, 13:58)Canuma Wrote: After researching a bit on my own, It seems like the Dune HD Homatics Box R 4K Plus (I hope I have the right one here, the Homatics without Dune HD is a different product, right?) might do almost everything I want that box to do.
There remain some uncertainties though, I hope you can help solve them.

As for now imho Dune must not be preferred over original Homatics cause Dune isn't pushing beta for ATV12 so no AFR e no DTS HD passthrough

For what I know the original remote has Ir sensor (or mabye only the b25 big remote has it) but the box not (you can add it but you lost the guarantee)

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - hdmkv - 2024-02-12

Have requested beta f/w via Homatics' Telegram channel. Waiting. In my brief testing on the Android TV side, it feels a lot like the Shield TV, just not as powerful/snappy. This is the first Android box I've tried that has the Android folder locked down. Tried both ES File Manager & Xplore. Appears to be a restriction with Android 11+.

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - Canuma - 2024-02-12

(2024-02-12, 13:01)Roby77 Wrote: As for now imho Dune must not be preferred over original Homatics cause Dune isn't pushing beta for ATV12 so no AFR e no DTS HD passthrough

For what I know the original remote has Ir sensor (or mabye only the b25 big remote has it) but the box not (you can add it but you lost the guarantee)

Since I probably won't use streaming services on that device, I really don't care much about Android. I prefer having the Hardware ready. Besides, I guess whenever a stable release of ATV 12 is released, the Dune HD will get it as well.
So yeah, I guess I prefer the Dune HD Variant.

RE: Kodi Media Players State of the Union: Best Options in 2024 - Roby77 - 2024-02-12

You are right with coreelec it's a perfect player

I would like also to buy the dune version (waf color and ir)

They just released a new atv 11 firmware version, I have only fear that now the staff will be focused on new 8k

Let's see