Guest - Testers are needed for the reworked CDateTime core component. See... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=378981 (September 29) x
What do you guys think about Jellyfin?
So i've been a kodi users since the (xbmc OG xbox splinter cell softmod days) and have recently set up jelly fin on a old 2012 i7 server. I have not really used it much but recently went on vacation so I opened up a port on my router so my kids can see all our children's movies and I was pretty blown away by how convenient it was. Mostly the wide availability of clients and the ease of syncing across devices. 

Do you guys think this is the direction diy media clients are going in ? Or will Kodi just kinda take the lightweight tv connected niche and jellyfin and the like be more for mobile devices?
i personally love jellyfin

the centralization of content, live transcoding and content per user account separation is great

seems to be less effort than an sql server solution to share content and watch states across devices

my phones and tablets get lower bitrate streams to android clients where a full kodi would be overkill

for content storage, cataloging, scraping and serving its my go to but that being said nothing replaces kodi as the client side player for my televisions because kodi will play everything and do audio passthrough

i think it is the way things are going and have been going ... plex, emby, mezzmo f.e. i only use jellyfin because i set it up in a docker about 2 years ago and its been rock solid so i havent tried other offers
The account syncing is really nice. And kodi's mysql solution does still feel a bit janky. I still havn't tried kodi's jellyfin plugin so maybe I'll give that a go next.
since you havent set it up yet i would highly recommend trying it out in a new or portable installation

the client for kodi directly modifies the kodi database so while trying to figure out how things work you may like the option of a reset so you can do things differently (there is a reset built in to the addon as well but a complete wipe is nice)

initial setup when it asks playback method "Direct or Add-on" choose add-on because something doesnt seem to work properly with direct that i never looked at fixing

if you use profiles in kodi there is a problem seeing the content in profiles other than "Master Profile", they just show up blank

other than that i dont recall at this moment any issues i had, those few really threw me off the first time i attempted to set it up for kodi
It sucks for music, which is my main use for Kodi, as I haven't come across a better solution for music listening, scrobbling, smart playlists and node editing, in addition to a visualizer. I'm even using a shield TV so projectm kinda sucks and it's better than anything available for my hardware. Kodi does fall short in that I've no intuitive way to listen to music remotely (the webui in a browser doesn't count, not intuitive or practical especially with an android box because starting up Kodi remotely is cumbersome).

I will finish by saying I do indeed have jellyfin running on an old headless laptop just as a secondary solution to my media collection, but also as the primary way I'll listen to music when not at home because the third party music app finamp is phenomenal and even has lyric support! I love Kodi as a whole so much more, and am not upset that I have both media servers because it is helpful to be able to fallback to jellyfin when for instance Kodi keeps crashing on my android box like it had done for the last 6 months until Nvidia finally decided to address it with a hot fix and keep its customers happy, and I'm pleased to know it wasn't my Kodi installation/config that was doing it Big Grin.

Jellyfin > Plex, absolutely
(2024-10-14, 18:55)psyburr Wrote: It sucks for music, which is my main use for Kodi, as I haven't come across a better solution for music listening, scrobbling, smart playlists and node editing

i havent used anything for music since Google Music was in beta, now YouTube Music you can still upload your own library for remote listening on-the-go https://support.google.com/youtubemusic/answer/9716522
otherwise while at home i still listen to my vinyl
(2024-10-14, 18:55)psyburr Wrote: Jellyfin > Plex, absolutely

unless you want bluray/uhd bluray support yes, emby does support those (which jellyfin is a fork of) but not sure about plex
still agree though as i am not a plex fan what-so-ever

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What do you guys think about Jellyfin?0