Guest - Testers are needed for the reworked CDateTime core component. See... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=378981 (September 29) x
  • 13(current)
Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024
So, I was iffy on keeping my Homatics player, but decided to keep it. With the Android 12-based private beta, finding its performance almost on par with Shield TV Pro as far as snappiness (including Kodi use), large local libraries & support for most things I want (except 3D). Having CoreELEC option is also nice.

----------
Update: Spoke too soon. HDR10+ isn't working properly for me. Tried enabling/disabling different combinations of options under HDR, but no matter what, the HDR10+ metadata test clip plays back pinkish & distorted, and the ISS sample file plays w/choppy audio.
I don't remember about this bug on HDR material but with live content

Did you ask about it in telegram group ?
(2024-02-25, 20:51)izprtxqkft Wrote:
(2024-02-25, 20:33)noggin Wrote: Is this playing UHD BDs with FELs?

limited sample size so far
yes full 1:1 remux to mkv without video encoding modification, directly from the retail disc

Code:
Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

if you have a specific title to test in mind i would be willing to give it a try, if it's not already in my library i wouldn't be opposed to purchasing it (if it's a "reasonable" price)

user:Salty01 from AVSforum has compiled a DolbyVision spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...=427220017 Page 2 "LLDV Chroma Weight Bug" has a list of DoVi movies that shouldn't be used in LL-DV mode or with quote "Fake" TV-LED players according to Salty01's testing. There is a Google Drive share linked on page 2 with some test clips, if you want to do your own testing.
(2024-02-26, 15:10)ricklar Wrote: user:Salty01 from AVSforum has compiled a DolbyVision spreadsheet:

right on, excellent link
i do have several of the titles listed with FEL,MEL https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448
zeroed in on a few specific ones which are a favorite of mine, Back to The Future Trilogy and John Wick 3 for FEL, Lord of The Rings Trilogy and It 1&2 for MEL
those titles are already backed up, JW3 being a "full" BDMV/m2ts backup so i'll do some testing with them and see what i see
Test devices Zidoo Z9X Pro+Hisense U8K ULED/Microled backlit

-----

that took less time than expected
with Player-Led LLDV
it's reporting output YUV422 12 Bits BT2020 DV
all samples have a haze that varies from slight to "i turned up the brightness too much"

with TV-Led it's reporting output RGB 8 Bits DV
haze is gone and the image has a better contrast color "feel"

i don't have any test equipment but at least for me in my setup TV-Led is the better option

-----

just by that it makes me think both are broken, shouldn't i see 12 bit DV in TV-Led?
No. TV-LED is supposed to be [RGB,8bit] and LL-DV is [422,12bit], so your testing is correct; always use TV-LED with Realtek player for DolbyVision.
(2024-02-26, 10:53)Roby77 Wrote: I don't remember about this bug on HDR material but with live content

Just did. Hopefully it's just choosing the right combination of all the HDR options in the Homatics Android settings. HDR10+ playback is (mostly) good with CoreELEC.
(2024-02-25, 10:53)hceuterpe Wrote: That being said, for the Boxy is the LLDV mode it's doing (there's no option to pick it seems, even within developer options) actually proper for its capabilities/limitations, instead of it trying to do TV-led?
Found that Amlogic's Vendor settings package:com.droidlogic.tv.settings is where the DolbyVision settings are located, but they may be hidden, and in Android 11 some Amlogic devices moved this to a "MORE_SETTINGS" option under Developer_options, so clicking on More_settings is actually opening Droidlogic settings. Don't have the Boxy, but if <com.droidlogic.tv.settings> app was built correctly in the firmware, then an adb shell command should gain access to the DoVi setting:

Code:
am start 'com.droidlogic.tv.settings/com.droidlogic.tv.settings.display.dolbyvision.DolbyVisionSettingActivity'
(2024-02-26, 17:38)ricklar Wrote: No. TV-LED is supposed to be [RGB,8bit] and LL-DV is [422,12bit], so your testing is correct; always use TV-LED with Realtek player for DolbyVision.

right on, thanks
(2024-02-26, 17:43)hdmkv Wrote:
(2024-02-26, 10:53)Roby77 Wrote: I don't remember about this bug on HDR material but with live content

Just did. Hopefully it's just choosing the right combination of all the HDR options in the Homatics Android settings. HDR10+ playback is (mostly) good with CoreELEC.
Figured it out... if I disable DV, HDR10+ works fine (although the ISS clip still stutters some). DV setting shouldn't affect HDR, but it clearly does at this point, a bug w/the latest private beta. Thinking of eBay-ing off my Homatics player. It's a fairly good box, an alternative to Shield TV Pro (with CoreELEC as additional option), but Fire Cube 3 & Dune HD are both better to cover all use cases/requirements in post #1.
(2024-02-27, 19:17)hdmkv Wrote: if I disable DV, HDR10+ works fine

have you tried out the VS10 engine in your Dune to process SDR+HDR->DV?
i've been using it on my Zidoo and it actually looks quite good, if it's as good on the Dune you might prefer it over HDR10+
I have, and in some cases, I like the VS10 rendered result. In other cases, the PQ seems over-saturated or the color palette leans more yellowish or reddish. VS10 is pretty cool tech though. Except for DV, at one point, I had it applied to anything SDR, HDR & 10+, but later reverted to whatever the source is, instead optimizing PQ for each mode on my projector.
(2024-02-27, 19:59)hdmkv Wrote: I have, and in some cases, I like the VS10 rendered result. In other cases, the PQ seems over-saturated or the color palette leans more yellowish or reddish. VS10 is pretty cool tech though. Except for DV, at one point, I had it applied to anything SDR, HDR & 10+, but later reverted to whatever the source is, instead optimizing PQ for each mode on my projector.

right on
it's still sort of new to me so i haven't tried it on everything just yet, what i have tried has had improvement except something wrong with VC1 encoding makes it looks terrible with blotchy blacks but i have very few of these remaining
@hdmkv

should there be a bonus category for players supporting HFR?
i hadn't considered it as there are so few titles but i watched Gemini Man today which is 59.94fps and it played nicely on my Zidoo Z9X Pro
might be a limited feature of movies but we're getting a load of devices with similar features so any extra features might be a tipping point for some

list of movie titles available in HFR (not sure if it is complete or accurate) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fi...rame_rates

here's the video info for gemini man just in case any one wants to see it
Would fire stick would be in device list since Amazon has delisted kodi from there store and sideloading is disabled with recent update
(2024-03-07, 06:21)dinjo Wrote: and sideloading is disabled with recent update

was working last month on the 9th - https://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-makes-si...us-offence
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Kodi Media Player Options 20240