Guest - Testers are needed for the reworked CDateTime core component. See... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=378981 (September 29) x
  • 51(current)
Best Kodi Media Player Options 2024
Set up my AM6B+ yesterday and couldn't be happier. The only bug I've encountered so far is that Dolby Vision files hang when fast forwarded or rewound (normal playback works fine). Is that a known issue? Everything else including HDR10 works fine.
(2024-09-23, 21:27)hdmkv Wrote: Fire TV Cube 3. If gaming is also a need, then Shield is better. Main downside to Cube 3 is Amazon's cluttered ad-filled user interface.

------------------------------
(2024-09-12, 22:43)hdmkv Wrote: Okay, taking another one for the team Wink! Ordered a S928X-J (not -K) box to test.
So, think I'm done testing 'untested' boxes for a while No Blush. The X96 X10, while not as bad as the Kinhank G1, has different problems even if it does some things well.

Did my testing below only with CoreELEC. Started running it off a mSD card, then did install to internal to run off the box's internal flash drive.

The Good:
  • Snappy, rather powerful box, as expected being powered by AMLogic's S928X SoC
  • CE runs fast using mSD card, but even faster when installed to internal flash storage
  • About 1/2 the price at $100 or less shipped compared to Ugoos' AM8/Pro or SK1 (but, maybe there's a good reason for this; see 'Bad' & 'Ugly' below)
  • I had ordered the 4GB/32GB variant before there were reports in CE forum that only the 8GB/64GB 'Pro' version was equipped w/the 'J' SoC that supported Dolby Vision. Obviously untrue because mine does! And, this means that the base 4GB/32GB variant is also equipped w/the 'J' Dolby Vision chip
  • DV quality looks excellent (when those videos eventually play; see 'Ugly' below)

The Bad:
  • Ethernet quality is sub-par. Found it odd the 400Mbps Jellyfish bitrate test clip stuttered. Did an iperf test between it & my NAS, and voila, found speeds caps out at about 475Mbps. However, using a USB3.0 Ethernet adapter, I got gigabit speeds
  • DV MEL only as we know, no FEL (but, see 'Hope' below)

The Ugly: (see video clip below)
  • DV videos take crazy long to play, and others (SDR, HDR) are slow-ish to start playing compared to Ugoos AM6B+ or even a generic S905X4 box
  • Some HDR videos exhibited nasty artifacts

The Hope:
  • As S928X devices are still new, keeping my X96 X10 to see if there are improvements ahead on the CE side
  • As I haven't tested the pricier S928X-J boxes, quite likely they perform better w/CE than X96 X10
  • There is word FEL support is coming soon to S928X-J devices

Interesting.  Keep us updated on its future performance.   So, you do not recommend it at this point in time?  Saves me some $$$.  Thank you.

Did you test the Ethernet performance before you installed CE on then Nand memory??

Do you have the stock Android ROM to flash back to Android?
At this point, no, suggest not buying. Out of curiosity, with your SK1, under CE, are you seeing the same playback issues as mine?

Built-in Ethernet performance was same before/after NAND install.

I don't have the stock Android ROM to restore the box, but bet I can find it online. What's interesting, unlike other DV-capable Android boxes, is that I could install CE w/o dual boot and wipe out the stock Android OS, and still have DV working. Thought this wasn't possible, right?

Anyone know what differentiates a S928X-J device from a S928X-K? Know it has to do with Dolby licensing, but what the differences between these two specifically are, I can't seem to find.
I'm testing my SK1 right now. I usually use my 4K version of Back to the Future for testing.
Since this device running CoreELEC, does not support Dolby Vision profile 7, I have to enable the Dolby vision compatibility mode under the settings.
When I click on that video it starts playing almost instantly. I can fast forward and rewind almost instantly. I have not run any speed test to see the actual speed. I just use my high bit rate videos to test.
I did a search for the difference between the J and K. As I recall, the J is just a Dolby vision. The K is Dolby vision and Dolby Atmos from what I remember.
(2024-09-24, 01:57)hdmkv Wrote: At this point, no, suggest not buying. Out of curiosity, with your SK1, under CE, are you seeing the same playback issues as mine?

Built-in Ethernet performance was same before/after NAND install.

I don't have the stock Android ROM to restore the box, but bet I can find it online. What's interesting, unlike other DV-capable Android boxes, is that I could install CE w/o dual boot and wipe out the stock Android OS, and still have DV working. Thought this wasn't possible, right?

Anyone know what differentiates a S928X-J device from a S928X-K? Know it has to do with Dolby licensing, but what the differences between these two specifically are, I can't seem to find.

thanks for the testing. here's my 2 cents. for the past few weeks I'm seen Team CoreELEC mention the team has this box and is working to get things fixed. they've hinted to wait a few weeks a few times. they won't say this if they aren't hopeful that it would work, right?
if you know the team has the box and is working on it, chances are it's going to get most things fixed
I have a lot of 1080p videos they're encoded with VC-1. It is hard to find a media player that will play that video codec without transcoding.
The SK1 does play that codec under CoreELEC without any special settings.

Can you test your device to see if it plays the VC-1 videos without issues?
(2024-09-24, 01:57)hdmkv Wrote: Built-in Ethernet performance was same before/after NAND install.
Did you try a reverse test?  As I server I get Gb speed (8GB Pro) so I think it might be something CE Team can address, probably a bit premature to review this box.
(2024-09-23, 21:27)hdmkv Wrote: Fire TV Cube 3. If gaming is also a need, then Shield is better. Main downside to Cube 3 is Amazon's cluttered ad-filled user interface.

I will never buy a Fire TV, the UI is trash. I was hoping to find something that could keep up with the Shield and play DV FEL. It's incredible that there's still nothing better than the 5 year old Shield 😔
For FEL, your best option today is Ugoos AM6B+. Just local media playback using CE. In the near future, it looks like the faster S928X-J/K based boxes will also do FEL. But, also for local media playback.

(2024-09-24, 21:32)nowwhereman Wrote: I will never buy a Fire TV, the UI is trash.
An option.
Post I replied to deleted by @Karellen... thanks.

Unfamiliar w/FEN or Umbrella. Can you explain how those work?
(2024-09-25, 02:34)hdmkv Wrote: Unfamiliar w/FEN or Umbrella. Can you explain how those work?
Aren't they piracy addons?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Sheeesh, no thanks.
Eh, wasn't really going after the piracy angle. Your "local file" wording could lead some to think the file actually has to be local when in reality you just have to get the file to CoreELEC and it will play it. That file could be a remote Plex server or online file storage etc. 

Many new people from Reddit etc. are learning of CoreELEC and FEL playback and might not understand.
(2024-09-25, 02:49)scoobydooscollar Wrote: are learning of CoreELEC and FEL playback
What is FEL?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2024-09-25, 03:20)Karellen Wrote:
(2024-09-25, 02:49)scoobydooscollar Wrote: are learning of CoreELEC and FEL playback
What is FEL
Full Enhancement Layer as opposed to Minimum Enhancement Layer or even a lack of enhancement layer in some Dolby Vision profiles but I'm sure you know that already.
  • 51(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Kodi Media Player Options 20240